Ipswich Town 0 Portsmouth 1

Last updated : 07 January 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Dario Silva struck the only goal to give Premiership Portsmouth an undeserved win away to mid-table Championship outfit Ipswich Town.

The hosts dominated for long spells in terms of possession and territory but failed to take two golden chances which came their way, while Pompey converted their only real opportunity.

Certainly new Portsmouth part-owner Alexandre Gaydamak will not have been overly impressed with his new charges and manager Harry Redknapp can no doubt expect plenty of funds to bolster his relegation-threatened side.

Portsmouth started brightly, with Lomana LuaLua, who learned his trade just up the A12 at Colchester, taking advantage of Town's Jim Magilton losing the ball, to curl a shot just wide.

Town went twice in the space of 60 seconds from distance, with both Darren Currie and Ian Westlake sending in efforts which weren't far off target.

Gary O'Neil fired way over for the visitors at the end of a neat build-up, Gavin Williams then had a good effort charged down by Dejan Stefanovic and then LuaLua got clear, but Richard Naylor and Jason De Vos got back to tackle him.

Matt Taylor's tame header was easily gathered by Shane Supple after O'Neil's cross to the far post, before Town wasted a golden opportunity to go ahead on 27 minutes.

Currie's backheel freed Scott Barron whose dangerous low cross was only cleared by Gregory Vignal as far as Williams in a central position 12 yards out, but he dragged his shot wide with the goal gaping.

That proved a costly error as, ten minutes later, Pompey struck with a killer break. Silva spread the ball wide to Taylor, then raced to the far post to meet the perfect cross with a thumping downward header, giving Supple no chance.

Moments later, LuaLua's mazy run opened up a shooting chance which he curled inches wide from the edge of the box and just before half-time, Supple did well to palm Taylor's shot around the post.

Naylor blocked a LuaLua shot early in the second half and the forward then burst clear onto a Brian Priske through ball, but delayed his shot and Fabian Wilnis arrived to make a perfectly-timed challenge.

Town made a double change on 56 minutes, with Sito Castro and Owen Garvan replacing Magilton and Matt Richards, with Naylor pushed forward to support lone striker Danny Haynes.

Straight away, Town looked more dangerous, with Haynes sending a snap shot wide before Naylor's flick saw him make space for an angled shot which flashed inches wide.

Town were desperately unlucky on 63 minutes after Priske had been booked for fouling Barron by the corner flag. Currie whipped in the free-kick and De Vos glanced a header onto the post, before sub Garvan's follow-up was blocked on the line.

Town's period of dominance didn't result in an equaliser though, and the final period of the game was relatively comfortable for the visitors.

Naylor headed a Sito Castro cross over at the far post, sub Jimmy Juan volleyed at Sander Westerveld, who then inexplicably fired his clearance straight into Naylor, but just managed to grab the loose ball first.

The visitors were content to defend deep and hit on the break, and with Town having an incredible five strikers out injured, they lacked the firepower to trouble Pompey further.

Ipswich: Danny Haynes - Was a constant threat to the Pompey backline as he probed effectively at the heart of the Tractor Boys midfield.
Portsmouth: Matt Taylor - Provided Pompey with an effective outlet on the left flank and was equally at home going forward and in defence.