Portsmouth Season Review 2013/2014: October

Last updated : 24 May 2014 By Jim Bonner

Going into October Guy Whittingham was feeling the pressure after the embarrassing defeat to York City. He knew he had to make changes to his squad and did just that.

Trevor Carson was loaned from Bury in an attempt to solve the goalkeeping crisis and Thery Racon returned for a second spell at Pompey.

Many fans might have felt that another defeat was upcoming when promotion chasing Rochdale came to Fratton Park for the next match. However, Whittingham's players responded to the York defeat and gave Dale a thrashing to repent for their sins the previous weekend.

Jed Wallace scored early on to set the tempo and then two goals directly from corners from Bondz N'Gala saw Portsmouth record an emphatic victory and a much needed clean sheet to go with it.

Highlights: Portsmouth 3 Rochdale 0

Another win came the following Tuesday in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy as Pompey gained a measure of revenge for the opening day defeat at the hands of Oxford.

Patrick Agyemang's beautiful curling finish gave the visitors the lead at the Kassam Stadium and John Marquis then bagged his first goal for the club after heading in Moutaouakil's cross. Pompey conceded their customary late goal on the road when James Constable scored at the death but it didn't matter.

Highlights: Oxford United 1 Portsmouth 2

Next up in the league was an early trip to Plymouth for a televised match on Sky. Argyle took the lead after Moutaouakil's mistake was punished by Conor Hourihane but Wallace levelled the score with a well taken goal outside the box. The match ended in a draw and a satisfactory point for both teams.

Highlights: Plymouth Argyle 1 Portsmouth 1

The following weekend saw another positive result as Bury came to Fratton Park and were beaten by a single N'Gala goal from a corner early in a match that Pompey were fortunate to see through as they ended up holding on towards the end of it.

Highlights: Portsmouth 1 Bury 0

Another midweek game brought Wycombe to Fratton Park in the pouring rain. Billy Knott gave the Chairboys the lead before Agyemang equalised before the break with the match descending into a farce with the pitch getting waterlogged.

With the scores level the referee decided to abandon the game and force the fans to endure an extreme soaking as they made their way back home through the storm.

Video: Thunderstorm!

The weather had brightened up by the time Pompey fans made their way to Devon for the match with Torquay but spirits were soon dampened as Jordan Chappell struck after just 17 seconds of the game.

Just as a defeat to the lowly Gulls seemed likely the much maligned Ryan Bird snatched a late equaliser to give Pompey a share of the spoils and preserve the unbeaten run.

Highlights: Torquay United 1 Portsmouth 1

Portsmouth had climed up to 16th in the league with 17 points from 13 games with the added bonus of progression in the Paint Trophy. However, those who thought that October would prove to be a turning point in Pompey's season would be proved very wrong in November.